Experienced Elephant Caregiver
Provides daily care for elephants utilizing Protected Contact elephant management and using only positive reinforcement, while ensuring a safe environment for self and others. Must be a team player, self-motivated and willing to work in all weather conditions to ensure daily care is provided.
- Supervised by the Lead Caregiver.
- Position Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt.
- Pre-employment Requirements: Drug Test, TB Test, Health Screen for N95 Respirator, Background Check.
- During employment is subject to random Drug and Alcohol Tests and annual TB Test.
Under the direction of the Lead Caregiver:
Basic Care Duties:
- Prepares daily diets. Prepares/delivers browse and other forms of enrichment.
- Maintains daily elephant care logs and record keeping.
- Monitors facilities and reports needed repairs to maintenance team. Performs minor repairs to infrastructure.
- Cleans elephant facilities, including stalls and habitats.
- Assists in unloading supplies.
Advanced Care Duties:
- Trains elephants for new behaviors and maintains pre-existing behaviors to facilitate husbandry procedures to ensure the health and well-being of the elephant.
- Provides needed care for elephants with TB and conducts and administers required procedures or treatment.
- Provides foot care and administers approved medications.
- ATV training and ability to safely navigate large habitat.
- Shifts elephants in and out of barn and/or habitat.
- Observes and reports signs of elephant health issues.
- Assists in training new staff.
Qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor's Degree in related field.
- Minimum two years Caregiver experience with large and/or exotic animals required.
- Experience in Protected Contact and operant conditioning required.
- Elephant Caregiver experience preferred.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact professionally with Staff, Board members, Volunteers.
- Must be able to stand/work for 8 hours in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly during loading/unloading supplies.
- Must be able to drive, or learn to drive, large farm equipment.
- Must be able to perform repetitive manual tasks: (cutting produce, pressure washing, raking).
- Valid Driver's License, insurable to drive company vehicles, and ability to provide own transportation to/from work.
At-Will Employment: The State of Tennessee and The Sanctuary recognize all employment to be 'at-will'. This means that you, the employee, as well as The Sanctuary can terminate employment at any time, with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Equality Employment Opportunity: It is our policy to treat you and all employees equally without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, or disability.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Free Workplace: The Sanctuary is a drug, alcohol, and tobacco free workplace and prohibits all employees from using non-prescribed drugs, alcohol, or tobacco in any form while on duty.
Employees are subject to E-Verify to assure they are eligible to work in the United States.
Forward your resumé and cover letter to the Human Resources Department at
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
No telephone calls please. All applications will be held in strict confidence.