Director of Elephant Care
The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee is seeking a professional, experienced, highly motivated Director of Elephant Care. This individual must bring an authentic passion and a commitment to the long term care for elephants in sanctuary. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing the day-to-day care and management of our elephants in a Protected Contact environment. In addition to extensive elephant knowledge, Candidates must also understand the dynamics of team motivation and how to utilize a collaborative team environment and workplace culture to provide the highest standard of care for elephants.
Important requirements for the position include: 1) Seven to ten years experience in an exotic animal facility with a minimum of five years working with elephants; 2) Minimum five years proven, successful leadership experience leading others and building a team. 3) Proficient in Protected Contact elephant management.
Program Development Duties:
- Review and expand protocols and SOPs for elephant husbandry and health care in coordination with Attending Veterinarian and Care Management Team
- Develop, review and broaden care staff training and continuing education programs
- Oversee elephant care training program
- Coordinate consultants and special projects related to training, foot care, nutrition, tuberculosis and other areas identified
- Develop and coordinate program for caregiver interns
- Understand sanctuary and challenges of providing day-to-day care
- Oversee developing herd relationships, socialization and the needs of an aging elephant population
- Supervise Lead Caregivers, attend vet rounds and all caregiver staff meetings
- Review and expand individual elephant care and training plans, providing training and problem solving as needed
- Provide input and expertise regarding non-invasive research, safety and TB in elephants
- Review and collaborate on facility design and updates
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies
- Participate in organizational strategic planning for elephant care and facilities
- Participate in Senior Management Team meetings
Resumes and cover letters to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 931-796-7493,
No telephone calls please. All applications will be held in strict confidence.