Tina's Diary ~ August 2003 : The Arrival

This page contains entries during August 2003 beginning with the day Tina arrived at the Sanctuary.

New: video capture (a series of still shots in Word format) documents Tina's arrival at the Sanctuary

Tina's Crew
A very big "Thank You" to Tina's Crew!

These dedicated people brought Tina safely over 3000 miles to the Elephant Sanctuary! Marcella Smith (staff chauffer), Mike Knowles (truck driver), Angelia Lambert (truck driver), Scott Blais (Sanctuary director), Tony Guenther (Tina's keeper) and Paul Rowand (from BCTV Global News)

August 31, 2003

8:45am CT
Tina did not hesitate leaving the barn this morning. She followed Scott right out the door and stopped to investigate the retaining wall and vegetation that grows on the other side. She spent a short time outside and then returned to the barn.

Tina ventures out again.. Checking out the wall
Tina sniffs the vegetation Down the corridor

August 29, 7:30AM
After her bath Tina followed Tarra and Scott right out the barn door. She hesitated a couple of times but continued to make her way toward the habitat. Once past the barn she investigated a little and then acted as if she wanted to go back into the barn. Like last time, she did not attempt to return to the barn the way she came. Instead, she headed in the direction of a different door. The gate leading to that door was closed. Before Scott could open it for her she changed her focus and once again appeared to be ready to head out into the habitat. After a few minutes she returned to the gate, which Scott had opened so that she could re-enter the barn.

This time Tina investigated more of her surroundings and wandered further from the barn. She is making progress.

A brave start

Tina makes a brave start

Tina goes outside

and begins to explore her surroundings



Tina and Tarra

Tarra has been a constant first friend in
guiding Tina to venture out into Sanctuary

August 28, 2003

Many people have wondered why Tina is so adverse to flying insects. We did not know if she had developed this dislike after arriving at the Sanctuary so we contacted Tina's veterinarian in Vancouver to find out if he had any insight. He too was unaware of such behavior in Tina's past but he promised to check into it.

Today Dr. Bruce Burton sent us this message. "I spoke with Tony [Tina's long time keeper] yesterday about Tina and her aversion to anything that flies or flutters. Apparently she has always had this problem. She would throw hay and other things at swallows and butterflies if they got in her pen. Just another lovable idiosyncrasy." 

Although we still do not know how or why she developed this endearing reaction to flying things we now know it developed many years ago. As Dr. Burton said, just another loveable idiosyncrasy of the elephant that we all find so dear.

August 27, 2003

Things have been rather quiet the past few days in Tina's world. She has attempted to leave the barn sort of half heartedly a couple of times. Her attempts appear to be more to please her caregivers then a real desire to go out. Both times she left the barn a solitary flying insect was the reason for her retreat. I can only imagine she either experienced a fly bite at some time in her life or simple uses the insect as an excuse to come back inside the cool barn.

She has been navigating the entire barn, including the restraint chute and scale with no problem. Today Hallmark TV was here to film a segment on the Sanctuary. We hoped the chance at continued stardom would bring Tina out but she was content to stay in the barn.

Each night at 10:30PM CT/ 8:30PM PT the barn lights are turned on and the EleCam is focused on the elephants in the barn as they receive their final evening meal. Only three elephants come in the barn at night this time of year; Sissy, Winkie and of course, Tina. It takes the elephants about 30 minutes to finish their late night treat and then the lights are turned out again. Tina is the focus of the EleCam for most of that time. Spread the word!

August 25, 2003

Tina received the final course of her first foot remedy today. We are seeing the progress expected. She has several open sores on both front feet and the area around the outside nails is incredibly raw. This condition has been chronic due to extreme pressure on her outside nails. We are trimming her foot pads to correct an overgrowth problem which aggravates the condition and hope to see improvement shortly. It takes six months for an elephant's toenails to grow out completely. We feel confident that by the time the nails grow out her feet will be healed.

It seems that every elephant has a personal way of eating an orange. Barbara used to step on them and then suck up the juice and Tarra squishes and peels them in the palm of her trunk. Tonight we watched Tina place an orange between her trunk and the steel pipe of her corral and press until it broke open. Apparently, by her demonstration, it takes two tries to break it open just right. Then she dropped the orange to the floor and dug the meat out with her trunk and discarded the peel. She did this effortlessly with four oranges . But she did not waste the peels; she ate them after the rest of the orange was consumed. Tina's signature orange peeling technique.

August 24, 2003
Today was quiet and peaceful — Tina did not have any giant breakthrough; perhaps she was taking the day off. She gave Scott quite a thrill when he approached her stall with an arm full of hay. Tina pressed her face up against the stall and opened her mouth. Scott thought she was expecting a treat and was begging, but he was pleasantly surprised when she started singing. She started very quiet but then broke out into full song which lasted for over a minute. Scott was honored.

August 23, 2003
Tina made another brave attempt to leave the barn through the back alleyway. She stopped to munch on tasty vegetation that she could reach over the block wall. After about ten minutes it appeared she would walk the remainder of the distance out to the habitat when a pesky deer fly circled her head. Tina has no tolerance for anything that flies including moths, birds, or deer flies. She went back inside the barn.

Later in the day as Tina was walking around the barn, Scott decided to give her a new challenge — the scale. She did great. The door leading onto the scale was opened. Tina approached and tentatively placed her front foot on the scale and then stepped back. She stood still for a few seconds and they approached again. This time she placed both front feet on the scale stood still for a few seconds and retreated again. Scott was giving her goodies, telling her what a great job she was doing. Then on the third approach, Tina walked onto the scale with all four feet, standing still, calm and confident. She weighs a mere 9500 pounds. After standing on the scale for a minute or so she proceeded on her way. Another stress-free breakthrough for Tina!

Tina approaches the scale
Tina approaches the scale

9600 pounds!
...and weighs in at 9500 pounds!
Safely out the other side
Safely out the other side
What a brave girl!
What a brave girl!


August 22, 2003
Tina discovers the automatic waterer


1:52 pm CT
Tina just discovered the automatic waterer!

OH BOY, drinks and showers anytime, day or night.

12:40 pm CT
Tina crossed through stalls 4, 5 and 6 to the far side of the barn. She was escorted by Rusty, one of the Sanctuary's cats. Tina has grown accustomed to the cats and no longer tries to scare them away.

When Tina reached the doorway leading outside she stood staring out at the habitat for several minutes. Then she stepped back into stall 6 and investigated the gates and toys in the stall. Wonderful breakthrough. YEAH!

First time in stall 4

First time in stall

On her way outside

A little bit further

Encouragement from Scott

Oh Wow!

August 21, 2003

Tina was calm all day. Tarra visited for a while in the morning and then Sissy came in around 3PM. Their time together has become a ritual. Sissy comes to the gate, Winkie hangs back. Sissy is given access to Tina's area and then they do this graceful, conscious dance, moving close enough to touch and interact but watching that they do not frighten the other.

Tina and SissyToday Tina was very comfortable with Sissy. She did not turn away or avoid her advances. Actually she was the one who advanced. They touched trunks and then Tina reached up on Sissy's back and ran her trunk the length of her back. She touched, pushed and poked Sissy, who stood perfectly still. Realizing that Sissy intended to remain passive, Tina reached up and grabbed Sissy's ear and pulled on it. Sissy remained still; no response was the best response. Tina pushed on Sissy's side with her trunk and Sissy remained still. Once Tina was through testing to see if Sissy was going to compete for dominance or be aggressive, Sissy walked away and rejoined Winkie. This was a very valuable interaction. They were testing each other's limits, patience and trustworthiness. The outcome was good.

August 20, 2003

Tina split her time today between Tarra in the morning and Sissy in the afternoon. They are all very relaxed with each other now. Tina actually talks when they approach and solicits interaction. Tarra spent much of her time standing close to Tina while fiddling with a small stick, content as she could be.

When Sissy came inside the barn both she and Tina got very excited. Tina talked in her high pitch voice and then the two did their own variation of trunk pops. Sissy flip-flops the end of her trunk back and forth rapidly. It sounds just like a basketball bouncing. Tina’s trunk pop is different from Sissy’s but exactly like Jenny’s. She hits the bottom portion of her trunk on the ground making a hollow, echoing sound. The trunk pop is a sign of excitement, and in this case the signal that they are comfortable and approachable. Even though most captive elephants have had a dysfunctional life, they know how to communicate with each other.

In case anyone is growing concerned about Tina’s desire to remain inside the barn let me quiet your fears. Tina is calm as you can tell by watching the EleCam. She is drinking well, playing throughout the day and eating well. In fact, she has begun to eat larger quantities of hay to make up for the reduction of grain and produce. These are all good signs. Her mood is upbeat and positive. All day today she chirped. Anytime anything was happening or she wanted something to happen, Tina would chirp. A person cannot resist joining in when Tina begins to sing, continually creating a very cheerful atmosphere.

I believe that Tina is taking her time because she can. There is no need to worry about the effect of staying inside will have on her feet. The floors are covered with one inch thick rubber matting and although this is not as good as being on natural substraight, for the short term it will not be detrimental.

Tina is not counting the days inside the way we are. She is living in the moment, which is the only thing that keeps captive elephants sane. They cannot worry about the past or the questionable future, they simply live in the moment and in Tina’s case it appears she is enjoying every moment of it.

Also, some have voiced concern that perhaps Tina has not gone outside because Tony, her longtime keeper is gone. I cannot know exactly what Tina is feeling but I will say she is showing no signs of depression fear or worry. She definitely knows Tony is gone but in her life at the zoo, keepers were not always there. They worked regular hours, took days off and were gone for extended periods of time for holidays. Tina does not show any negative signs, so we must surmise that staying inside is not a negative thing to Tina.

If you read Sissy’s and Winkie’s diaries you will see that they both stayed in the barn for a month. Now look at them!

August 19, 2003
It was a calm and quiet day for Tina. She nearly went into stall four but then changed her mind. One of Tina supporters wrote to say that she thinks Tina has not gone outside because everything is so comfortable inside the barn, with foot soaks, lots of goodies and caregivers with her continually. We can't be sure of why Tina has not yet gone outside but we are sure that she will go outside when she is ready.


August 18, 2003

Today was quiet. Tina showed no interest in going outside. She wandered around the barn quietly exploring and searching for the small pieces of produce Scott and Joanna hid for her.

Tina Stores an Orange

11:00 pm CT

During the late night feeding Carol noticed something different about Tina's mouth. Upon closer look she saw that Tina had stuck an orange into her lower lip. Tina continued to eat the remainder of her produce, grain and hay with the orange stuck in her lip. Pretty handy storage spot. Very cute!

1 pm
Another surprise visit from Sissy and Winkie. Upon entering the barn Sissy walked directly to the gate that leads into Tina's area of the barn. While Winkie stayed back, Sissy approached Tina. This time Sissy approached Tina straight on instead of the submissive posture of turning her back to Tina. Tina reached out a couple of times and then moved as if she was going to turn and leave. Sissy stopped. Tina stopped. Sissy again began to move toward Tina very slowly. Tina reached for Sissy again. This time Sissy reached back. Both of their trunks hovered in mid air as they reached for each other and touched trunks. For several seconds Tina and Sissy held their trunks together, smelling and exchanging their curious greeting. They continued to reach out for each other and touch, exploring trunks and bodies. At one point Sissy turned around and allowed Tina to touch all over. Sissy had no interest in leaving the barn; instead she spent the remainder of the day with Tina. This is the beginning of another healthy relationship.

Tina follows Sissy
Tina follows Sissy
Tina and Sissy say Hello
Tina and Sissy say "Hello"


August 17, 2003

2:45 pm CST
Sissy and Winkie returned to the barn early afternoon which is very abnormal behavior this time of year. They usually do not come back to the barn until it is dark. The reason for their return was obvious. Sissy walked right over to the gate that separated her from Tina and stood there. Winkie stayed back at the other end of the barn. Recognizing that Sissy wanted to meet Tina, Scott stayed with Winkie, reinforcing her positive behavior while Carol opened the gate for Sissy to enter into Tina's area of the barn. Tina was entertaining herself by playing in her water bucket. Sissy approached cautiously, slow and gentle. Tina stopped her activity and glanced in Sissy's direction. She did not move away from nor approach Sissy.

Sissy continued to inch closer until she was a few feet away. The two reached toward each other but did not touch. After several minutes Sissy returned to Winkie who waited calmly and patiently at the other end of the barn. A very positive interaction.

Meeting Sissy
A good beginning
A good beginning


11:30 am Tina went all the way outside her barn door, stood there for a few minutes and then came back inside. Progress!

7:00 am When the caretakers arrived this morning Tina was in stall ONE facing Winkie and Sissy who were at the other side of the barn. Tina was dozing with her trunk draped over the bars. After a few minutes she woke slowly and reached for a long tree branch she had been given the night before. With precision she used the branch to scratch all over her body. She is incredibly relaxed this morning.

Tina's eye is healing quickly. We are continuing the medication although her eye is no longer painful and the weeping has almost subsided. Her course of homeopathic remedy will continue for a few more days. We will evaluate her body's response before deciding the next course of treatment.

August 16, 2003

Tina is having another good day, she has been chirping a lot. She and Tarra spent the entire morning together and she almost went all the way into stall four. Maybe tomorrow.

This afternoon during her foot soaks she was so cute. She kept taking water from her trunk bucket and filling up her foot buckets. Then she would suck up the water from her foot soak buckets and spray it onto her back. She had a blast playing in the water.

August 15, 2003

Tina did not leave the barn today so we incorporated lots of activities in our routine to make her feel more comfortable with her surroundings and caregivers. In addition to her daily eye medication, homeopathy treatments and foot soaks, Tina engaged in trust building activities with her caregivers several times today. She seems to enjoy the challenges and interaction with her new people, not to mention the treats!  Whenever we approached with a new activity Tina showed immediate interest and participated willingly.

Several times today Scott encouraged Tina to walk from one end of the barn to the other. Tina is willing to come only so far which is fine with us. If we push her and instill fear we will lose her trust and delay progress. Tina is allowed to take as long as she needs.

Scott with Tina
Scott bonds with Tina..
Scott coaxes Tina
and encourages her to walk
through the barn

Tina develops trust
Tina enjoys the treats along the way

Tonight some of you may have seen Tina on the EleCam peacefully munching on hay and playing with a long tree branch. She is making good progress.


August 14, 2003

Tina remained in the barn all day. Although we would love for her to be outside already, that decision must be hers. It is important for Tina to know we will support her in her transition and not make her do anything against her will simply because we think she will like it. If you read the diaries of the other girls you will see that some elephants take quite some time to go outside. We spend time everyday encouraging her and treating her if she shows interest in moving around the barn and heading toward the big outdoor but for now we must be patient and support her in the space she is in. Tarra continues to be a constant companion.

11:30 am CT

Homeopathic remedy is gGiven to Tina

Today Tina was started on a series of homeopathic remedies to address the pain in her feet and her overall puffiness. The remedy, carbo vegetabilis, is given orally from a syringe. This is not an injection; the syringe is used to squirt the remedy into Tina's mouth. Most elephants start out suspicious about having this tasteless substance squirted into their mouth but after a couple of treatments they open their mouth wide in anticipation. The remedy will be given once a day for a week, at which time her condition and response to the remedy will be evaluated by Dr. Lori Tapp, one of our vets. In addition, we are using Traumeel, a topical ointment made up of calendula, arnica montana, chamomilla and echinacea. This remedy helps to relieve pain. It has been our experience that elephants respond very well to natural remedies and we expect Tina to be no exception.

8:30 am
Tina is much more relaxed today. She is chirping and allowing more physical interaction from Tarra who continues to be her constant companion.


August 13, 2003

Tina has shown incredible resilience considering the major changes that have occurred in her life in less than a week. She traveled almost 3000 miles cross-country, was befriended by new caregivers, moved into a new barn, and has met three new elephants. She now must figure out what all this means. She is doing very well.

Tony, Tina’s long-time keeper left this morning. It was bittersweet. On one hand it would be nice for Tina to have her friend stay forever but on the other hand she is starting a brand new life and might just be able to progress faster if she leaves her past behind. We are working hard to fill the void created by Tony’s departure. Our past experiences have taught us that the elephants find friendship and love in the new people and elephants in their lives.

Tina seemed a little tense this morning. Most likely it is a combination of a long trip and all the excitement associated with it. The adrenalin rush is over. I am sure her interaction with Winkie last night was also on her mind. She needs the opportunity to work through her emotional stuff and our job is to help her do that in a healthy way.

Tarra spends time with Tina

Tarra spent the entire day with Tina again today. Tina is still a little apprehensive but you can see the improvement. At least she is no longer throwing things at Tarra, who moved with the greatest care and gentleness when she walked past Tina. At one point Tina lifted her hind leg to Tarra, an elephant’s way of initiating a friendly interaction.

Scott treats Tina's weepy eye

Right away in the morning Tina’s weepy eye was medicated. Carol gave Tina treats as Scott applied the ointment, she is so tolerant. The medication will ensure that she does not develop an eye infection while her eye heals. Tina’s eye doctor told us to expect her eye to continue to weep for some time during the healing process.


Tina gets a foot soak

In the afternoon Tina got her daily foot soaks. It was really cute. We set up three tubs, two for her feet and one for her trunk (to play in). As Scott filled her foot buckets with apple cider vinegar, Tina added the water from her third bucket. Then she proceeded to throw water all over herself and everyone else. It is good that she enjoys her foot soaks since they are important for her foot recovery.

At 6pm the EleCam followed Joanna and Scott as they walked through the pasture picking fresh ceresa and china grass for Tina. These plants are favorites of the elephants and grow in great volume throughout the habitat. Earlier today Tina was offered a handful of ceresa and she gobbled it up. Until she goes outside her caregivers will continue to pick fresh grasses to add variety and quality to her diet.

By late afternoon Tina finally settle in. She played with sticks and toys and thanks to the recipe provided by her keepers from GVZ, she enjoyed one of her favorite frozen treats. Her progress has been very good and we look forward to her full acclimation and recovery.

Back to top

August 12, 2003

Tina makes a friend

Tina literally made a friend overnight. She spent the entire night and all of today with Tarra. Their trust and friendship is blossoming. Tarra was not satisfied to occupy an adjacent stall; she wanted to be in the same stall as Tina. It was really cute, because several times Tina would block a doorway as Tarra tried to pass. She was not aggressive, but quite effective. When Tarra tried to come through Tina would just back up and block the way. Tina would finally tire of this game and allow Tarra to come on through.

Tina leaves the barn

When Tarra exited the barn at 12 noon, to everyone's surprise, Tina followed.

Without a hesitation and with complete confidence, Tina simply walked down the 150-foot corridor along the outside of the barn and stood on the hill overlooking the Sanctuary habitat. She was calm and curious.

A bird landing on a tree branch overhead started her, which caused her to do what we affectionately call her "helicopter" trunk. Apparently this behavior has worked in her past to scare things away. It is really comical to watch because not only does she swing her trunk around spastically, she also does an awkward body wiggle at the same time. Learning about trees and their inhabitants are just some of the many experiences Tina will have at the Sanctuary. It was humorous to watch just a few minutes later when Tina displayed the same exaggerated response when three butterflies floated by.

After spending a short time outside, Tina entered the barn through a different door. It was great to see her being so fearless — a wonderful sign. Once back inside the barn it was bath time. She allowed Scott and Carol to scrub her face and head to remove some dead skin. Many of you may have noticed on the EleCam that Tina's right eye has been weeping since she arrived. That is result of a reoccurring eyelash problem where her eyelash rubs her eyeball causing an abrasion. Tina amazed even her longtime keeper Tony, by allowing Scott and Carol to gently pry open her eyelid to remove the problem eyelash. The pain is gone and her eye should recover quickly.

Tina remained with Tarra all day. They both napped in the afternoon.

Tina and Winkie say helloTina and Winkie say "Hello"

At 8PM Sissy and Winkie returned to the barn for the evening. All three shared trunk touches through the corral. Tina made an intimidation gesture toward Sissy who in response turned her back to Tina and assumed a submissive posture. When Tina made the same move at Winkie she was caught by surprise. Winkie is not one to back down so she lunged back at Tina. It was comical because Tina was caught by surprise and took a few steps back. Then in a rebellious response she picked up a trunk full of hay and threw it at Winkie. OK, these two got off on the wrong foot, but with time and space they will grow to understand and respect each other's individuality. That is the glory of the Sanctuary; there is space for the elephants to develop healthy relationships in their own time. In the meantime, if two elephants are not able to relate in a healthy manner they don't have to spend time together.

When I left the barn at 3am Wed morning, Tina and Winkie had forgotten their power struggle and were peacefully munching on hay.

Back to top

August 11, 2003

8:00 pm CST
It's been a great day! Tina met Tarra, her first resident of the Sanctuary. Now things are winding down for the night.

3:12 pm CST
Tina arrived at the Sanctuary! After her dirt ramp was smoothed just the right way so she could easily and safely back out of the trailer, the bars were taken out of the trailer and Tina was free to exit into the barn. Not being completely sure about the entire thing (remember, it took her four hours to decide to get in the trailer), she gingerly backed out a bit... then back in...then back out... the exit process took about an hour. After leaving the trailer she became very interested in the dirt which had been used for the ramp and began throwing it all over herself. That also seemed to relax her a bit. After a while, she was shown the produce which was close by in the next stall (apples, bananas, pineapple, grapes, peaches). That was soon gobbled up enthusiastically, whereupon a watermelon was placed close by. Gingerly stepping on it, the watermelon—just at the peak of perfection—burst open and Tina had a very enjoyable time eating every single bit of the juicy red melon.

Carefully backing out
To encourage Tina to back out of the trailer, Scott tempts Tina with one of her favorite foods - grapes!
Watermelon treat
Tina begins to enjoy her watermelon (down to the last drop!) while the press corps has a photo op!


11:00 am CST
Tina has crossed the state border into Tennessee.

Monday morning - at the Sanctuary
All the elephants are hanging close to the barns. They have had wonderful interactions over the past days, especially this morning...all gathered in a graceful collage of pachyderms, touching, talking and interaction. Who do you think they are talking about? There is no doubt they know Tina is coming!

8 am CT
Traffic in St. Louis, MO has slowed Tina and her crew down to a crawl. Tina does not seem to even notice but the crew is starting to get anxious. Tina ate and drank very well last night and this morning. She is relaxed and appears to have settled into the routine. Her estimated arrival time is 3PM, CT

7 am CT
Tina is in the last few hours of her trip, she is doing great. Her entourage, which not only includes her caregivers and drivers but also a news crew from BCTV Global News are tired...to say the least and anxious to arrive. 

Penske provided a brand new truck and it running perfectly.

The arrival time is pushed back by an hour as result of the truck exchange.

Back to top

August 10, 2003

Tina has settled in, eating her hay very well,  enjoying the showers and pampering from her CREW. Today was basically uneventful until Mike detected something not quite right with the truck. It just seemed to be missing a beat. Not willing to take a chance with such precious cargo in tow, Mike rolled into a Penske Rental dealer in Omaha NE around 8PM.

The truck is brand new, had only a few miles on it when the trip began, so no one could believe there could be a problem. What was even more frustration was that no one could determine what the problem was. But they could agree on an easy solution, swap out the trunk for another and get back on the road. While the crew dealt with the situation, Tina napped and contently nibbled on her hay.

An avid Tina fan e-mailed and made this humorous comment, " judging from the tired sounding Global reporter, I think Tina is making out better than any of the humans in her entourage". It is true, Tina the pampered pachyderm is sailing through while her entourage of doting caregivers will be exhausted by the time this adventure comes to an end. 

Moving down the road...

On the road again...


August 10, 3:30 AM Mountain Time

Scott's update from the road:

We got the last two rooms available at the Howard Johnson in Laramie WY. I am sleeping in the trailer again, Tina likes the company. She drank well several times tonight and she loves the new hay. She is relaxed and even slept for a couple of hours this morning. She likes the new hay so well that after eating all she had she woke me up by stealing my bed which I had made from a pile of hay.

We removed one bar from the back of Tina's enclosure and padded the second one because she was leaning on the upper bar so hard she caused a small abrasion. It is only a surface irritation but enough that I wanted to remedy the cause. We padded the lower bar just in case she wanted to lean hard on that one as well.  We found the perfect padding, Marcella's egg crate mattress. Now that is the ultimate sacrifice a person can make. Marcella gave up her bed to pad the bar behind Tina's bottom. The remedy seems to have worked.

New hay arrives for Tina

August 10, 1AM Mountain Time

A late night pick up of hay in Elk Mountain. Shorty Richardson was very accommodating, agreeing to leave several bales of hay for Tina at the gas station where the crew stopped.

The hay is excellent and Tina was pleased. She immediately began eating the hay and has not stopped.

Since Tina is an animal that needs to consume 150 pounds of food each day, primarily hay, this is good news.


August 9, 2003

Rest area in  Evanston, WY

7pm MT

We stopped off at a rest stop in Evanston, WY. Tina is doing well, she drank and is eating. We are half way though the trip and will be picking up Tina's new hay in a few hours.


The crew stopped at a rest stop in Ogden, Utah to water Tina and see if she needed more food. She ate produce and grain and drank. The crew was pleased to see that Tina was relaxed enough to play with her water. Twenty nine hours into her trip and she is doing great!

Scott decided that Tina is not eating her hay as well he would like so he contacted Doug DeCosta of Colorado Hay, the company that supplies hay to the Sanctuary. Doug contacted Shorty Richardson, a supplier of premium Timothy hay in Elk Mountain, Wyoming. The arrangements have been for a hay drop off en-route. Shorty is delivering the hay to the location where Tina and her crew will stay tonight.  She is going to love it.

7:00 AM PST
Tina remained calm throughout the night. I am sure her slumber party pals, Scott and Tony were reassuring. Tina ate her breakfast of produce and grain and was given a refreshing shower. Although the motel was totally booked and had no rooms for the crew, they were as accommodating as they could be. They provided a water hose with fabulous pressure so Tina and her trailer were cleaned thoroughly. At 7:30 they were on the road again.

August 9, 2003 (report from the road by Scott)

We stopped for the night in LeGrande Oregon. Unfortunately, there are two conventions and a few weddings that have totally booked all of the hotel rooms within a 100 mile radius, so we are all bunking down in the vehicles, Tony and Scott in the trailer with Tina. Super 8 motel has been very generous to let us park under their willow trees for the night and letting us use their facilities. It must be fate — as I sit in the lobby there is an elephant carving on the TV and a Ganesha [the elephant-headed god, who is the Lord of Beginnings, Remover of Obstacles and the Protector of all that is new] on the wall. We came to the right place.

Tina is doing very well. She drank a little at 10pm and started eating hay — yeah for Tina! She is settling in for her journey. BCTV Global news continues to follow, planning on taking more footage in the morning then heading off the feed the video back up to Canada.


August 8, 2003

Stopping at a rest area

6:00 PM Pacific Time — Tina stopped for a drink of water and a bite to eat (hay and produce) at a rest stop. Odd sight for most travelers. She is settling in.


1:45 PM Pacific Time — It took less than an hour for Tina to clear customs. All of her paperwork was in order. Canadian CITES, USFW and USDA made copies of the permits and documents and gave their stamp of approval.

Tina is now officially on her way!

Finally! All settled in.

Finally! In at last and ready to go.

Hmmm... what is this thing?

11:45 AM Pacific Time

Tina entered her trailer amidst cheers of encouragement from her keepers, well-wishers, and the media. Many had gathered to bid her farewell and record it for posterity. Tina was curious but reluctant to enter the trailer...all the way. She teased the keepers by walking part way in and then backing out. She did this several times. Each time she entered she would walk further into the trailer. Finally after several attempts Tina walked all the way inside her trailer. Within minutes the entourage was on the road heading for the Canadian/US border.

Maybe if she goes in backwards...??....

Maybe backwards ??? No......

Tina's escort service

Tina's trailer and CREW arrive in Vancouver, BC

Angie Lambert (truck driver), Tony Guenther (Tina's keeper, Marcella Smith (official staff driver) and Mike Knowles (elephant transporter extraordinaire).

Tina's Farewell Party ~ July 26, 2003