Public Visits to The Sanctuary
As an accredited sanctuary, the habitat where the elephants live is not open to the public. Elephants in captivity have lived their entire lives on exhibit. The Sanctuary works to provide an environment for captive elephants to live a more natural life.
The Elephant Sanctuary does provide the public with ways to observe, learn and support the elephants without impacting their day–to-day lives.
- The Elephant Discovery Center located in downtown Hohenwald welcomes visitors year round. It is located at 27 East Main Street, Hohenwald TN 38462. It is currently open every Thursday and Friday from 11 am till 4 pm, select Saturdays for special elephant focused programs or events, and other times by appointment. Please visit the Discovery Center page to view our calendar of events.
- Our Distance Learning Program allow classrooms and community groups educational access to hour long sessions with our Caregivers/Education Staff with live streaming video of our elephants for structured educational seminars designed for all ages.
- The public is invited to access EleCams online for views of elephants living in Sanctuary. Fourteen solar powered cameras stationed throughout the habitats provide a non-invasive, respectful way to view the elephants. The EleCams are available online seven days a week to give the public the opportunity to watch as the elephants go about their daily activities—grazing, foraging, swimming and even napping.
- Ele-Notes provide information about each elephant with updates on life in Sanctuary. Visitors to the site can sign up to receive The Sanctuary’s free monthly e-newsletter, eTrunklines.
- Supporters are invited to stay current on Sanctuary news and videos through social networks FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
- Join the Herd by becoming a Member and you will receive Trunklines in the mail three times a year with more elephant photos and updates.
The Sanctuary schedules Volunteer Days one Saturday each month throughout Spring, Summer and Fall months. The VIP Program includes a behind the scenes tour of facilities to help donors better understand the work of Sanctuary and commitment to care.