The Elephant Sanctuary provides captive elephants companionship, individualized care, and the opportunity to live out their lives in a safe haven dedicated to their wellbeing.
On this page, you will find the most up-to-date information on employment opportunities with The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.
As an equal opportunity employer, it is our policy to treat all employees equally without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, or disability.
The Education Coordinator (EC) will have primary responsibility for the coordination and implementation of The Sanctuary’s successful Distance Learning Program. Utilizing the latest virtual technology and partnering with Microsoft, the program offers a virtual classroom to a global audience eager to learn about elephants. The Education Coordinator is tasked with coordinating and delivering programs, collecting data evaluating the program for improvement.
In collaboration with the Education Manager, the Education Coordinator will also assist with day to day management and programming of The Elephant Discovery Center/Outdoor Classroom. Responsibilities include greeting and informing visitors, as well as, planning and delivering Sanctuary educational programming through a variety of outlets to the widest possible audience.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Distance Learning – 75%
- Leads Distance Learning sessions in conjunction with Education Manager and Outreach & Operations Manager
- Act as the main point of contact for all distance learning scheduling and complete all scheduling and coordination with assistance from the Education Manager as needed. This includes communicating with teachers and other event organizers in a courteous and professional manner via phone and email
- Collect and maintain data on distance learning participants and create reports from this data for fundraising campaigns, reporting to the board and other uses as needed.
- Collaborate on research and development of targeted educational material and curriculum suitable for each target group
- Researches the latest trends and technologies used in the virtual learning space to ensure our program is on the cutting edge.
- Creates a community of distance learning participants by maintaining the Elephant Educators Facebook group.
- Continuously evaluates the efficacy of the distance learning program
- Maintain an attitude of flexibility and readiness to meet specific content requests and to address technology issues and other obstacles as they arise.
- Other duties as assigned
The Elephant Discovery Center/Outdoor Classroom – 20%
- Deliver educational programs to individuals and groups
- Assist in coordinating/scheduling school and adult group visits
- Assist with developing materials, activities, and curriculum for EDC/Outdoor Classroom
- Assist in monitoring and labeling EleCams for website and EDC regularly
- Greet visitors, provides information and handles merchandise
- Participate in planning and implementing special fundraising and education events
- Assist with data collection and program evaluation
- Other duties as assigned
Outreach and Communication – 5%
- Assists with creation and management of new educational materials posted on the website, and on-going maintenance of website education materials so it is up to date, accurate and appropriate to The Sanctuary’s mission
- Other duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS AND EXPECTATIONS:
Team Oriented – Develop positive working relationships with other Sanctuary employees, senior management and the board. Provide recommendations to resolve issues as they arise. Interact professionally with staff, board members and volunteers.
Organized – Maintain calendars and data across multiple platforms that allows the education team to work efficiently and effectively. Attention to detail is a must.
Creativity – Ability to prepare diverse presentations and information, observe communication and social media trends and incorporate into educational planning activities. Utilize creativity to develop marketing and communication plans.
Good Communicator – Communicate respectfully and effectively with others. Keep management informed of both internal and/or external issues and concerns. Practice good communication skills both verbal and written.
Self-Motivated – Perform the job with minimal supervision and learn all aspects of The Sanctuary as related to the position.
Dependable and Reliable – Come to work and be on time. Follow procedures and ensure accurate documents are provided to Donors.
Training – Identify and engage in ongoing training for self and those supervised and work with supervisor to identify additional training needs.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communications or Wildlife Preservation preferred
- Minimum one-year prior work experience in education, museum or equivalent setting
- Public relations skills are required
- Must be a proficient public speaker and comfortable with virtual technology
- Working knowledge of Outlook computer programs to include Word and Excel
- Experience with a non-profit is a plus
- Must be on-site 5 days a week in Hohenwald, includes regular Saturdays
- Must be able to sit / stand for 8 hours
- Walking, bending, light lifting