Following the guidance of the Center for Disease Control (CDC), we are saddened to share that we are canceling the Summer 2020 Internship position. The Sanctuary has also temporarily suspended community and group activities at The Elephant Discovery Center as well as upcoming Volunteer Days. Our professional animal care and facilities staff have maintained their normal schedules, and the elephants are well. We are hopeful to be able to continue with our Fall internship position, but that is dependent on what happens in the next few weeks/months regarding public health. The health and safety of our staff, volunteers, animals and community remain our highest priority.
The Sanctuary's 12-week Internship Program is focused on providing experiential learning opportunities to individuals seeking to understand, develop, and establish careers in the fields of elephant care and conservation. Interns work closely with Caregivers as well as Education Staff for a multi-departmental learning experience.
Summer 2020 Program Dates: May 26 - August 15, 2020
Application Deadline: March 15, 2020
We will follow up with applicants by the end of March.
To be notified of future internship opportunities, sign up for EleNews at the bottom of this page.
Responsibilities May Include
• Assist elephant Care Staff in day-to-day activities
• Record-keeping and welfare assessment skills
• Public presentation opportunities
• Assist with enrichment, literature research, and/or other specific projects
• Assist with animal training projects
• Follow all safety instructions and procedures
• Work in a dynamic team environment
Please note that this is not meant to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities and that the requirements of the internship are subject to change as required.
• At least 18 years of age
• GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Junior, Senior, or Master’s level student currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited college or university.
• Be willing to commit to a 12-week term (5 days/week, 40 hours per week)
• Proof of current tetanus vaccination, TB test, and signed physicians form to approve mask-fit testing is required for all interns prior to the start of the internship assignment. All tests/vaccinations are at the applicant’s expense
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs minimum
• Must be able to work in inclement/harsh environmental conditions
• All applicants subject to a background check and drug screen
• Paid hourly wage
• On-Site housing – certain restrictions apply