Following the guidance of the Center for Disease Control (CDC), we are saddened to share that we are canceling all 2020 Internship positions. Our professional animal care and facilities staff have maintained their normal schedules, and the elephants are well. The health and safety of our staff, volunteers, animals and community remain our highest priority.
The Sanctuary's 12-week Internship Program is focused on providing experiential learning opportunities to individuals seeking to understand, develop, and establish careers in the fields of elephant care and conservation. Interns work closely with Caregivers as well as Education Staff for a multi-departmental learning experience.
2021 Internship program dates will be announced via EleNews. Please sign up at the bottom of this page to receive this newsletter.
Responsibilities May Include
• Assist elephant Care Staff in day-to-day activities
• Record-keeping and welfare assessment skills
• Public presentation opportunities
• Assist with enrichment, literature research, and/or other specific projects
• Assist with animal training projects
• Follow all safety instructions and procedures
• Work in a dynamic team environment
Please note that this is not meant to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities and that the requirements of the internship are subject to change as required.
• At least 18 years of age
• GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Junior, Senior, or Master’s level student currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited college or university.
• Be willing to commit to a 12-week term (5 days/week, 40 hours per week)
• Proof of current tetanus vaccination, TB test, and signed physicians form to approve mask-fit testing is required for all interns prior to the start of the internship assignment. All tests/vaccinations are at the applicant’s expense
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs minimum
• Must be able to work in inclement/harsh environmental conditions
• All applicants subject to a background check and drug screen
• Paid hourly wage
• On-Site housing – certain restrictions apply